The conductor who has won everybody's heart
‘That was a wonderful journey and still one of the key chapters of my life,’ Paul McCreesh did not hide emotions when talking about his work in Wroclaw. When Paul McCreesh became the artistic director of the Wratislavia Cantans Festival in 2005, not only local music lovers were astonished to hear that the organisers had successfully invited one of the most famous contemporary conductors specialising in the performance of early music. The artist’s co-operation with the NFM Choir or the Symphony Orchestra of the Wroclaw Philharmonic (currently the NFM Wroclaw Philharmonic) has gone down in history. Under his directorship, lots of amazing concerts and recording projects were carried out, gaining prestigious awards, and music lovers truly fell in love with his McMaestro.
Few artists have engaged in work with Wroclaw ensembles as strongly as Paul McCreesh has. ‘Paul became a real partner for the performance of joint artistic projects and the first person who built here what we can see and be proud of today,’ explained Andrzej Kosendiak, the director of the NFM.
Artists honoured with memorial plaques in front of the NFM
- Christoph Eschenbach (18/02/2016)
- Stanisław Skrowaczewski (1/04/2016)
- John Eliot Gardiner (19/09/2016)
- Wayne Shorter (18/11/2016)
- Charles Llloyd (25/11/2017)
- Krzysztof Penderecki (2/12/2017)
- Krzysztof Jakowicz (26/01/2018)
- Jacek Kaspszyk (7/09/2018)
- Zubin Mehta (10/09/2019)
- Grażyna Pstrokońska-Nawratil (7/03/2020)
- Paul McCreesh (5/06/2021)