Non-Polish European Union citizens may vote and stand for election to the Wroclaw City Council and vote in the election of the Mayor of Wroclaw, on condition that they have been entered into the permanent register of votes kept by the Mayor. However, non-Polish citizens may not vote or stand for election to the Regional Council of theLowerSilesiaProvince.
Entry in the register of voters
A non-Polish EU citizen is entered in the register of voters when he submits an application to the Wroclaw City Office.
The application must contain the following data:
- surname and first names,
- father's name,
- date of birth,
- passport number or the name and number of another identity document,
- voter’s registered residence address or last registered residence address inPoland.
The application must be submitted along with:
a photocopy of the applicant’s valid identity document,
a written declaration in which the applicant states:
- his nationality,
- his permanent residence address in theRepublicofPoland.
Documents not prepared in Polish are to be submitted along with a translation into Polish made by a sworn translator. This also applies to other documents submitted by non-Polish EU citizens.
The legal provisions do not specify the deadline by which the application for entry in the register of voters must be submitted so that the voter could take part in the election. However, it must be borne in mind that the Mayor has only 3 days to consider the application.
Applications for entry in the register of voters are received by the Citizen Affairs Department, Population Registration Department – Register of Voters located at ul. G. Zapolskiej 4, rooms 221, 222 and 223, from 8:00 a.m. till 3:15 p.m.
Voting rights (right to vote) and right to be elected
Voting rights, i.e., the right to vote in the election to the Wroclaw City Council and the election of the Mayor of Wroclaw, are granted to a non-Polish citizen entered in the register of votes in Wroclaw who:
- turns 18 years’ old not later than on the voting day,
- is a permanent resident of a given commune,
- has not been deprived of public rights by a valid court decision,
- has not been incapacitated by a valid court decision (Article 10 § 1 item 3a and 4 and § 2 of the Electoral Code).
Non-Polish EU citizens have no voting rights in the election to the Regional Council of theLowerSilesiaProvince.
A voter is entered in the list of voters. Each voter may be entered in one list only.
A non-Polish EU citizens having the right to vote in the election to the Wroclaw City Council has the right to be elected to the Wroclaw City Council.
The right to be elected may not be granted to any person who:
- has been sentenced by a valid decree to imprisonment for an intentional offence prosecuted by public indictment or an intentional fiscal offence,
- has been deprived of the right to be elected in any EU member state of which he is a citizen.
Non-Polish EU citizens do not have the right to be elected to the Regional Council of theLowerSilesiaProvinceor to the office of Mayor of Wroclaw.
Voting in the election to the Wroclaw City Council and in the election of the Mayor of Wroclaw takes place only in the territory of theRepublicofPoland.