World Hello Day is held on 21st November every year. This year it celebrates its 50th anniversary; in Poland, it takes place for the 17th time, so we can call it a relatively fresh holiday. Check how people will spend this time in Wroclaw and what the city has prepared for this occasion!
World Hello Day: history
World Hello Day originates from the USA. It was the idea of two brothers: Brian and Michael Cormack, originally intended as a protest against the war between the Arab–Israeli War that broke out in the autumn of 1973. World Hello Day was to remind people how important it is to solve conflicts peacefully and to have a positive attitude to the world and other people.
Today World Hello Day functions in 180 countries. The first Polish city that celebrated this holiday was Wroclaw. It took place in 2006 under the slogan: ‘Be one of the Kind’. For 17 years, funny colourful drawings by Andrzej Tylkowski have always been the trademark of World Hello Day in Wroclaw. In 2007, Dwarf Well-wisher appeared in Wroclaw on the occasion of World Hello Day. His broad smile is to make the day happier for inhabitants.
How does Wroclaw celebrate World Hello Day?
In 2022, we celebrate World Hello Day in Wroclaw under the slogan: ‘Kindness has the power!’ On that day, the first thing you should do is smile to others! Be also kind and good to the people you meet on the street or at work. Do something nice, talk to your neighbour or give up your seat in a tram. Share your positive energy and show that kindness does have the power!
World Hello Day 2022. Program of events in Wroclaw
This year’s celebration is special, because it is connected with the Wroclaw Day of Good Relations – Against Loneliness. We start celebrating earlier, so be prepared for a portion of experiences planned by the city of Wroclaw! The most important events include:
World Hello Day 2022. Program
- from 07/11/2022 – ‘Kind Exhibition’ in Magnolia Park
- 10/11/2022 – 24/11/2022 – ‘Kind Exhibition’ – ul. Oławska
- from 14/11/2022 – Kind Library – a series of events in branches of the Municipal Public Library (paid classes, registration required, information on the website of the Municipal Public Library)
- 18/11/2022, 1:00 p.m. – ‘Pass the smile on!’ – a smiling photo in the Market Square
- 19/11/2022, 12:00 p.m. – 'A visit to Wroclaw Hogwart’, Museum of Bourgeois Art – Old Town Hall (paid classes, registration required, information on the website of the City Museum of Wroclaw)
- 20/11/2022 – city game: ‘Be Kind! Give Help!’; registration required
- 21/11/2022, 5:00 p.m. – meeting with Prof. Marek Kaczmarzyk: ‘Where kindness comes from. The evolutionary neurobiology of kindness’, Helios Cinema, Magnolia Park (free passes). After the meeting: 6:00 p.m. – Sonata film screening, Helios Cinema, Magnolia Park (free passes). Tickets to the meeting with Prof. Marek Kaczmarzyk and the screening of Sonata will be available in the box office of the cinema from 16th
- 21/11/2022, 7:00 p.m. – Night Lettering at the Wroclaw University of Technology
Lecture and screening of the Sonata film
One of the main events will be the meeting with Prof. Marek Kaczmarzyk. On 21st November, he will talk about kindness. The lecture ‘Where kindness comes from. The evolutionary neurobiology of kindness’ will be held in the Helios cinema at Magnolia Park at 5:00 p.m. After the meeting, the Sonata film will be shown.
Free passes will be available in the box office of the cinema from 16th November.
A few words – great power: Night Lettering of the Wroclaw University of Technology
Night Lettering is an event based on writing letters to enterprises with a request for support of the scholarship fund for students with disabilities studying at the Wroclaw University of Technology.
How and when can we meet to write these few words that have a great power?
- on the spot: 21st November, Building H-14 (Wybrzeże Stanisława Wyspiańskiego 40), 7:00 p.m. – 12:00 p.m. The official start of the event and the writing of letters will take place there. Cannot attend the whole event? Come and stay as long as you can!
- online: 22nd–26th November, online platform, from 8:00 p.m. until the last letter! The link will be available on the website stated above.
- 21st November is World Hello Day, so we will write letters with Dwarf Well-wisher – want to meet him? Come into H-14!
Be kind to the book – it has its life, too
On the occasion of World Hello Day, the Municipal Public Library is organising a campaign that will remind us of the benefits of reading and of good practices regarding the use of books in a friendly and appealing way.
In its branches throughout the city, you will find information posters and memory games for the whole family produced in co-operation with the Department of Promotion and Tourism of the Wroclaw City Office.
Materials for download. As usual, posters by Andrzej Tylkowski will be available; this year he has also prepared a school agenda and a postcard in Polish and Ukrainian.