The Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny) in Wroclaw is the second (after the one in Kraków) oldest institution of this type in Poland. It was created at the same time as the University of Wroclaw (Uniwersytet Wrocławski), which was established in 1811 as a result of joining Frankfurt’s Viadrina and Jesuitical’s Leopoldinum Academy.
The original garden had approximately 5 ha of plots after demolished the fortifications around the city. Its first director ordered the seeds and seedlings of 427 plants. However, the University’s Garden developed dynamically. In 1816, there were already two thousand plants being cultivated, and its area was also developing. Today, on almost 7.5 ha, there are approximately 11.5 thousand plants and their varieties registered, including mountain, rock, water, mud and even tropical and subtropical plants.
The establishment has the importance of a separate institute of the Faculty of Biological Sciences (Wydział Nauk Biologicznych) of the University of Wroclaw (Uniwersytet Wrocławski), operating within the Museum of Nature (Muzeum Przyrodnicze). The Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny) itself was registered as a monument to history.
It is situated right next to Ostrów Tumski, and it is a frequently chosen place for walking and relaxing in the open air. During a year, many events are organised here, among others: May Holidays in Ostrów Tumski (Majówki Tumskie), finals of Wroclaw Magnolia (Magnolia Wrocławska) (contest for students of landscape architecture), the Pumpkin Festival (Festiwal Dyni), and there are also concerts and outdoors events for the youngest and meetings for enthusiasts of gardening. The heavenly location of the garden is frequently chosen by newlyweds as a place of post-wedding photo-shoots.
The Garden can be entered from ul. Sienkiewicza and from the direction of Ostrów Tumski, from ul. Kanonii.
• PLN 15 (normal),
• PLN 5 (reduced – primary school, secondary school and upper school pupils, students, pensioners, employees of the University of Wroclaw (Uniwersytet Wrocławski)),
• free entry:
- Honorary Guests of the Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny),
- preschool children,
- PTTK guides and teachers showing around a group – one free entry per 15 persons,
- newlyweds in wedding gowns,
- disabled persons with an adjudicated significant and mild level of disability and their carers.
• free entry on weekdays from Mondays to Saturdays (aside from Sundays and the July – September season, after producing a card) for students of:
- the University of Wroclaw (Uniwersytet Wrocławski),
- Wroclaw University of Technology (Politechnika Wrocławska),
- Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences (Uniwersytet Przyrodniczy),
- Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny),
- Wroclaw University of Economics (Uniwersytet Ekonomiczny),
- The Academy of Fine Arts (Akademia Sztuk Pięknych),
- The Academy of Music (Akademia Muzyczna),
- The Academy of Physical Education in Wroclaw (Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego we Wrocławiu)
• personal seasonal ticket – PLN 200
• consent to carry out a professional photo shoot e.g. newlyweds – PLN 200.